Wait till you see the most recent pictures of the house (promise they will come this week). In the meantime this morning had been all about prep – we are dropping off the lighting fixtures and cabinet hardware today. Installation will take place this week and next! The boxes are endless- thankfully my in-laws have allowed us to ship and store all of the boxes at their house until now! Can’t wait to see everything installed soon-
We purchased our last lighting fixture today- Hooray! We couldn’t be more excited (and relieved). Now that we have everything purchased it is fun to look back and day-dream about how each room will come together with the furniture we have been looking at and for the fixtures we have selected.
Pottery Barn has been one of the top destinations for our lighting fixtures. There were several fixtures we were thinking about using in the Dining Room but in the end we agreed that the Mia Faceted-Crystal Pendant was the perfect choice. It has a little glam and sophistication with the crystal but the antique bronze gives it a warmer feel.
We purchased the larger size as the room is a good size and we wanted it to have an impact over the table and when you walk in. Looking at the pictures again it gets me excited for our first Holiday season in the house- looking forward to using a mix of old and new furniture and tableware in hosting our family and friends!
Have I mentioned that I love shopping? But as much as I love it, we are on a major break from shopping in order to save and get ready to furnish our house. In less than 4-months I will be ready to purchase and fill our house with old and new pieces that will make it feel like home. While I love our current apartment space is limited and I haven’t really put a lot of effort recently into decorating it. Now, every time we walk through the house my mind is spinning with ideas for color, patterns, and key pieces that will help create our home.
One of my favorite ways to track places to shop has been maintaining the Shopping page on the blog. I update this frequently with staples and new discoveries of where to shop. The list has gotten longer but I edit it to make sure it gives you a quick view of where to shop. I am a big fan of investing in big purchases and mixing in the “low” pieces to finish out any room. Of course I shop elsewhere (local design stores and antique stores) but this is what I see as the “bread and butter” to decorating any house.
If you have a favorite place to shop and don’t see it on the list please share it with me- I love finding a new shopping adventure.
- Serena & Lilly: Definitely worth the splurge for that key item you have been looking for. I am eyeing their duvet covers, headboard and decorative accessories for our home. Their catalog has great inspiration, but their e-comm site is also easy to use and navigate.
- Ethan Allen: After seeing their line in a few of the HGTV Dream Houses this brand has really stepped up in being more modern but keeping their traditional look and feel. They have great investments pieces that you know you will have forever (my mom will be passing down some of their pieces to Jarret and I for our house!).
- Ballard Designs: A long time favorite of mine- whether it is big or small this catalog has something for everyone. Great finds at pretty good prices. Their pieces can be additions that “pop” or that are the anchor to building out your room
- Rue La La: New boutiques every day, offering everything you could want for your home- need I say more? My favorite destination for Living online shopping- if you aren’t a member you must sign up now!
- Roberta Freymann: My fashion taste often blends into my design taste for home. That is why I love everything at Roberta Freymann. Their great prints inspire fashion that I can wear all summer long plus great quilts and pillow that I will be layering in for our Guest Bedrooms.
- One Kings Lane: Great destination for impulse purchases. Once you start shopping their site daily and getting to know their brands and merchandise you can use this to make some bigger purchases that you have to plan and think about. Part of the private sale world but focused solely on the Home world.
- Shades of Light: This will be one of my go to sites for lighting ideas and purchases…so many options to select from, which is perfect as we have a lot of lighting fixtures to buy!
- Pottery Barn: I am already a big fan (and customer) of Pottery Barn’s towels, bedding, sheets and home accents. But I am really looking forward to investing in their lighting fixtures, and furniture for our home. Pottery Barn is such a strong brand and has amazing product – can’t wait to spend some time shopping at their stores!
- Room&Board: So excited for this store to open in Boston in early 2014! I have heard amazing things from my good friends Alexis & Dave about this store. This might just be the place to find the perfect couch/ sectional for our great room. Their website has a ton of product to start creating the perfect couch!
- Anthropologie: a long-time favorite, Anthro offers not only amazing fashion items but great pieces for your home. Whether it be the perfect shower gift or just something special for yourself you can always find plenty to buy. I am hoping to find some unique furniture pieces and tableware items for our home next time I visit their store on Newbury Street.
- Wayfair: This site has it all- I am a big fan of their online shopping experience, they allow you to “clip” your favorite items, compare them and save them for later. I will shopping this site for lighting, furniture and key items.
- Horchow: Definitely a site for when you are ready for a splurge but their product is awesome. I think their sectional, chair and couch selection is amazing- modern yet inviting.
- West Elm: They offer great furniture pieces- my favorite areas include kitchen tables, couches, bedroom dressers/ nightstand. Their look is more contemporary than a Pottery Barn but their pieces can mix in well in any home and give you that update that you were looking for.
- World Market: I feel like this is one of those sites that has been fully discovered yet…I have been seeing more of their pieces featured on blogs and magazines. This isn’t a site you will go to shop for your whole house, but you will find key pieces and decor at amazing prices to tie your whole design story together.
Over the next week or so I want to wrap my head around lighting fixtures for our bathrooms. While the lighting fixtures are a focus I feel that I have to think about the room as a whole to pick out the right fixture. For today, let’s focus on the half bath on the first floor (right off of the kitchen, next to the mud-room).
As you may remember we have already selected the sink, plumbing fixtures and toilet. We still have to select the mirror, lighting fixture, toilet paper holder, wainscoting and wallpaper. There is so much out there to choose from! I love the look of a frameless tilt mirror for this bath. For storage, we can get a separate small cabinet and place it in the corner so I am not worried about having a medicine cabinet. Here are some products I found and loved online-
Product can be found at:
Pedestal Sink: Toto
Faucet: Ammara Designs
Lighting Fixtures- Bellacor
Mirror & Toilet Paper Holder- Pottery Barn
I have used the below images as inspiration for wainscoting and wallpaper in our Half Bath-
Or modern wainscoting…
Grass Cloth Wallpaper
bold choice but I love it!
More neutral but will work better with the tile floors
This could work well
What do you think of these ideas? Any favorite pics or suggestions for lighting- let me know!
We are ready to start tackling our lighting! Today, we regrouped with our builder to review what we have to source for lighting based on our building plan. Now, that we have our “checklist” we are ready to dive in.
Here are the items we are looking to source (outside of what we can get through our builders):
– Kitchen: Pendant Lamps for the Island (2-3 depending on the side)
– Kitchen: Chandelier for Kitchen Table
– Dining Room: Chandelier
– Front Hall- Chandelier
– 1/2 Bath 1st Floor- Vanity Light(s)
– Guest Bath 2nd Floor- Vanity Lights
– Master Bath 2nd Floor- Vanity Lights
– Exterior: Front of House/ Garage Lights, 4 in total
– Bedrooms: Dome Light Fixtures, 4 in total
Lots of things to start checking off…one is in the works. Have any favorite lighting stores or sites? Let me know, we need ideas!
Here are some of the top sites I have found so far:
– Lowes– they have a ton of options! You have to go in know your price point to help narrow down the options. I think this will be a good spot to find our dome or “flush mont” lighting for the bedrooms. This fixture could be great for one of the guest rooms-
Coming back from vacation this week I have a stack of magazines to catch up on! Excited to spend some time reading these and gathering more ideas for the house.
I have a ton of tear sheets from old magazines that I have gathered over the past 6-months. In order to see these tear sheets I decided to start creating an inspiration board where I can easily pin and update the board with the latest ideas I find from some of my favorite magazines- Traditional Home, Coastal Living, HGTV Magazine, Boston Home, Better Homes & Gardens. Plus some shopping in the catalogs- Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Shades of Light, Ballard Designs.
When building or decorating it is key to start building a library of ideas before you start the project. While Houzz and Pinterest are great options for online, I personally still love looking through magazines and creating tear sheets of my ideas. Either way, the earlier you start creating your library the easier the process will be!
Today was the perfect day to spend with my mom shopping around town (and long overdue). We went to all of our favorite stores plus some new one’s that we couldn’t wait to visit. For the most part, we focused on the home stores but we had to visit some of our favorite fashion stores as well.
I got so many design ideas for the house and made my first antique purchase…first round of shopping inspiration is below. More to come tomorrow- enjoy!
Shopping Around Southampton:
Hildreth’s– a long-standing brand in Southampton, this store offers everything you could need for your home and is a great spot to pick up a house-warming gift as well.
Great options from Dash & Albert for outdoor run options for the farmer’s porch
Love this chair at Hildreth’s- would opt for a different fabric but the design is great
Aerin Lauder opened her first store in Southampton this summer. I have been in it a few times and absolutely love everything she has to offer. It is a small space, but the merchandise is so well-edited. Whether you are looking for the perfect hostess gift, a special piece of jewelry or something “just because” you will find it (and probably find more than one thing to buy!).
This summer, Pottery Barn was a new additional to the town of Southampton. Taking over the building where Saks was Pottery Barn opened just in time for the summer shoppers. I have to say, I was so impressed by the store- it was the perfect select of merchandise for what you would need in decorating your house in the Hamptons. So many ideas from their displays…
More to come tomorrow!