Wait till you see the most recent pictures of the house (promise they will come this week). In the meantime this morning had been all about prep – we are dropping off the lighting fixtures and cabinet hardware today. Installation will take place this week and next! The boxes are endless- thankfully my in-laws have allowed us to ship and store all of the boxes at their house until now! Can’t wait to see everything installed soon-
This will be one of many lighting updates I will post over the next few weeks. At this point, we have purchased about 90% of our fixtures after months of shopping and searching. The fixture we selected for the Front Hall is from one of my favorite sites/ catalogs, Ballard Designs. The Calisse Pendant lends a formal but comfortable look for any front hall and carries a similar look to what we selected for our interior door fixtures and exterior lights. Looking forward to finding the perfect front hall table to coordinate with this overall design (thinking a bold color!).
Have I mentioned that I love shopping? But as much as I love it, we are on a major break from shopping in order to save and get ready to furnish our house. In less than 4-months I will be ready to purchase and fill our house with old and new pieces that will make it feel like home. While I love our current apartment space is limited and I haven’t really put a lot of effort recently into decorating it. Now, every time we walk through the house my mind is spinning with ideas for color, patterns, and key pieces that will help create our home.
One of my favorite ways to track places to shop has been maintaining the Shopping page on the blog. I update this frequently with staples and new discoveries of where to shop. The list has gotten longer but I edit it to make sure it gives you a quick view of where to shop. I am a big fan of investing in big purchases and mixing in the “low” pieces to finish out any room. Of course I shop elsewhere (local design stores and antique stores) but this is what I see as the “bread and butter” to decorating any house.
If you have a favorite place to shop and don’t see it on the list please share it with me- I love finding a new shopping adventure.
- Serena & Lilly: Definitely worth the splurge for that key item you have been looking for. I am eyeing their duvet covers, headboard and decorative accessories for our home. Their catalog has great inspiration, but their e-comm site is also easy to use and navigate.
- Ethan Allen: After seeing their line in a few of the HGTV Dream Houses this brand has really stepped up in being more modern but keeping their traditional look and feel. They have great investments pieces that you know you will have forever (my mom will be passing down some of their pieces to Jarret and I for our house!).
- Ballard Designs: A long time favorite of mine- whether it is big or small this catalog has something for everyone. Great finds at pretty good prices. Their pieces can be additions that “pop” or that are the anchor to building out your room
- Rue La La: New boutiques every day, offering everything you could want for your home- need I say more? My favorite destination for Living online shopping- if you aren’t a member you must sign up now!
- Roberta Freymann: My fashion taste often blends into my design taste for home. That is why I love everything at Roberta Freymann. Their great prints inspire fashion that I can wear all summer long plus great quilts and pillow that I will be layering in for our Guest Bedrooms.
- One Kings Lane: Great destination for impulse purchases. Once you start shopping their site daily and getting to know their brands and merchandise you can use this to make some bigger purchases that you have to plan and think about. Part of the private sale world but focused solely on the Home world.
- Shades of Light: This will be one of my go to sites for lighting ideas and purchases…so many options to select from, which is perfect as we have a lot of lighting fixtures to buy!
- Pottery Barn: I am already a big fan (and customer) of Pottery Barn’s towels, bedding, sheets and home accents. But I am really looking forward to investing in their lighting fixtures, and furniture for our home. Pottery Barn is such a strong brand and has amazing product – can’t wait to spend some time shopping at their stores!
- Room&Board: So excited for this store to open in Boston in early 2014! I have heard amazing things from my good friends Alexis & Dave about this store. This might just be the place to find the perfect couch/ sectional for our great room. Their website has a ton of product to start creating the perfect couch!
- Anthropologie: a long-time favorite, Anthro offers not only amazing fashion items but great pieces for your home. Whether it be the perfect shower gift or just something special for yourself you can always find plenty to buy. I am hoping to find some unique furniture pieces and tableware items for our home next time I visit their store on Newbury Street.
- Wayfair: This site has it all- I am a big fan of their online shopping experience, they allow you to “clip” your favorite items, compare them and save them for later. I will shopping this site for lighting, furniture and key items.
- Horchow: Definitely a site for when you are ready for a splurge but their product is awesome. I think their sectional, chair and couch selection is amazing- modern yet inviting.
- West Elm: They offer great furniture pieces- my favorite areas include kitchen tables, couches, bedroom dressers/ nightstand. Their look is more contemporary than a Pottery Barn but their pieces can mix in well in any home and give you that update that you were looking for.
- World Market: I feel like this is one of those sites that has been fully discovered yet…I have been seeing more of their pieces featured on blogs and magazines. This isn’t a site you will go to shop for your whole house, but you will find key pieces and decor at amazing prices to tie your whole design story together.
This rainy sunday is the perfect day to catch up on the stack of catalogs and magazines I have been piling up. So far I caught up on West Elm, Ballard Designs and Boston Home. Each led me to different searches online…
Opening the West Elm catalog made me want to go out and purchase everything! Sigh, we still have a few more months before we can start buying our furniture. Either way, I will definitely be going to their stores for our furniture purchases. I was most impressed with their kitchen table options- there are some great farm table options that are all under $1,000. That is a great price based on what I have seen shopping around. I would prefer to keep our table under $1,000 and get some fun chairs to mix and match. Here are my picks from their tables:
Speaking of chairs for the kitchen table, Ballard Designs has some of the top options for upholstered chairs. Their catalog is one where I end up marking way to many pages with things that I like and want but their stuff is just great! Plus, with this months’ catalog I got a discount count for 15% off my next purchase. Remember all of those lighting fixtures I need to buy- time to go shopping!
I love the idea of using some of the below chairs as the head chairs for the kitchen table.
- Subway tile backsplash- whether you pick a classic white tile, marble or glass this is a no brainer to update any kitchen.
- Kitchen Island- a kitchen is no longer complete without an island. To me it is the perfect place to gather while cooking and makes any kitchen feel complete.
- Pendant Lamps- the perfect lighting update for all kitchens. I love the idea of having 2-3 over the island. Personally, I love the look of the “bowl” pendants similar to the ones I picked out for our kitchen.
Here are some images to help inspire you for your next kitchen project-
Hope you all are enjoying your sunday!
Personally, I think anytime is a good time to shop. But over the past few days I have been shopping around more with some of the recent promotions I have seen via email and websites. Below are some of the offers that have tempted me to dive into some earlier purchases. Fortunately, we had a sample sale at work today (gotta love working at Rue La La) and I scored some great items for our house…more details to come tomorrow. For now, the sample sale purchases have decreased my shopping urge but I strongly recommend taking advantage of some of these sales if you need something new for your home!
End of Summer Sales:
- Serena & Lily– great items to accessorize your home or find the perfect gift
- Horchow– this site has amazing product, no wonder since it is part of Neiman Marcus. Sign up and you can access their lnsider Sales!
- Ballard Designs– they are offering 15% off of their entire site through Tuesday, September 3rd- amazing!
- Ethan Allen– various offers and sales through Labor Day weekend. Great opportunity to but that investment piece!